Testosterone is the basic male sex hormone and is important for health for both men and women. Improving testosterone levels in the body has the following benefits-
- It slows aging
- It improves the metabolism leading to a better turnover of energy in the body.
- It preserves strength and muscle and helps you get stronger.
- It prevents fat gain and fat storage.
- It reduces estrogen levels which prevents several hormonal imbalances and weakening of connective tissues.
- It improves sexual desire.
- It reduces stress hormone production and helps prevent insomnia.
- It reduces the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
- It prevents obesity.
- It helps you gain muscle.
Unfortunately today we have a testosterone drought. Just 5-6 decades ago 700 units/cc was considered a normal level for young males in a blood test. Today the range is 200-350. This is due to lifestyle and dietary changes. Due to this today healthy young males cannot even perform basic exercises like chin ups and push ups and every 3rd person is obese. In the case of women the situation is even worse as women do not have good testosterone levels to begin with and modern female lifestyle promotes excess estrogen production, Due to this irregular cycles, painful PMS, female obesity and infertility are all becoming more and more common. People in general have become so weak that a slip disk in a 30 year old is considered normal. A major part of this is the general fall in testosterone levels.
Improve your testosterone levels and automatically a large number of problems will go away. People over 40 should work extra hard at keeping their testosterone elevated, as they are at a greater risk for lowered production.
Here are some very simple and effective ways to elevate your testosterone levels:
- Sleep at least 8 hours every day. Try to sleep before 11 p.m.
- Reduce your exposure to artificial light by using a bluelight filter software on all your electronic devices and use halogen bulbs instead of tube lights after 8.
- Increase your exposure to sunlight and try to spend as much time outdoors among trees and nature as possible.
- Try to walk around as much as possible. Try not to sit for more than an hour at a stretch. Getting up and walking for just 2 mins can make a huge difference.
- If you are over 18% bodyfat and male, make fat loss your main priority. Women should try to stay below 25%
- Engage in hard exercise at least 4 times a week. Any exercise that results in a good burn or pump in the muscles will help elevate levels. Big compound exercises like squats and bench presses will effect the testosterone levels much more. Always shoot for more intensity instead of volume. Any good basic workout routine like any of the afitgo workouts or 5-3-1 by Jim Wendler or Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade will do the trick.
- Practice voluntary relaxation as much as possible. Learn simple standing meditations like WU Chi or engage in long relaxing walks.
- Relax the body as much as possible, use the sauna, steam room or just have a hot bath once a week. Soak your feet in hot water and massage your hands and feet. Try to get a full body massage frequently or just learn how to use a foam roller and a tennis ball for massage.
- Periodic fasts, as often as once a week will dramatically improve testosterone. Simply have fresh uncooked vegetables and low sugar fruits and plenty of water all day during the fast day, do not consume anything else. Once in two weeks should be sufficient for most people.
- Consume 5-7 liters of water a day.
- Eat at least 1 gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight.
- Clean up your diet in general and avoid testosterone suppressing foods. Check out this article for more.
- Drink 3-4 glasses of green tea a day.
- One coffee a day can go a long way. Try to have it before noon.
- Do not eat soy or corn and avoid processed flour.
- Consume 2g of fish oil a day.
- Try to increase your consumption of healthy fats like olive oil, egg yolks and white butter. Eliminate all vegetable oils and other unhealthy fats.
- Have one 500mg tablet of vit e with breakfast and dinner.
- Have 3g of vit C every day.
- Supplement minerals as much as possible, specially Magnesium, manganese, iron, Vit D3, zinc and calcium.
- Consume a B-Complex supplement.
- Have 2 gokshura/ Tribulus terrestris every day with meals. Females should clear this with their doctors.