If you are trying to modify your training to lose fat, look no further. These simple to implement training tips will quickly change the way you look and feel.
- Do all your cardio and endurance work after your strength/ muscle building work
– It takes to body 10-15mins to begin the fat burning process. Doing your strength work first skips this stage entirely so that all your work goes into burning fat.
- Perform sprints
– High speed work burns energy anaerobically and in the long run has a greater calorific requirement that slow cardio. It also improves your metabolism. Do 5-10 25-100m sprints 3-4 days a week.
- Use caffeine and protein as pre-workout supplements
– Do not take the usual energy drinks that you normally do. This way the muscles are depleted and the body has no choice but to burn fat to obtain energy.
- Eat your largest meals of the week 45mins after your workouts
– It is difficult for the body to gain fat during this time. Timing your meals in this way will prevent fat gain and accelerate fat loss, as well as keep your metabolism elevated.
- Gain muscle
– The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism. Even if you don’t want to bulk up, muscle building work will prevent the usual fall in strength and energy that happens during fat loss phases.
- Use barbell complexes
– A barbell complex is a series of full body exercises that use the same weight and are performed consecutively without putting the weight down. This will burn huge amounts of calories and make you stronger at the same time.
– For example: 40kg barbell, 5 clean and presses, 5 push presses, 10 front squats, 10 back squats, 5 good mornings, 10 bent over rows, 10 rdls and 5 deadlifts.
- Use 3-5 sets of 8-20 reps with only 45 seconds rest in all assistance and muscle building work.
- Use a upper- lower split that makes you train 4 days a week in the gym
– 2 days lower body, 2 days upper body with complexes during each workout, assistance according to point 7 and cardio after workouts.
– Sprint outdoors the other 3 days.
- Use mostly big compound exercises in gym training
– They will burn more calories. Avoid isolation movements during fatloss phases.
- Walk more on a day to day basis
– While walking does not burn too many calories it does help reduce soreness and keeps the metabolism elevated. More importantly it prevents the general weakness that normally happens during fat loss training.